The history of Alaca dates back to BC 5000. The center of the town where the city lies were known as “Etonia” in the ancient period. Instead of the name Hüseyinova in 19th and 20 the centuries, it was named as Hüseyinabad in 1919 and became a town after identifying the names of district. The name of Alaca was approved in 1932.
The distance of the town to the city center is 50km. It is on the junction of Yozgat-Çorum and Sungurlu-Tokat highways. Çorum is situated in the north, yozgat in the south , Çekerek in the east and Sungurlu in the east.
The significant historical sites of the town are ruins in Eskipayar and Mahmudiye villages ; Alacahöyük, Kalınkaya and Pazarlı which are full of Hittites pieces. Gerdekkaya tomb and Koçhisar Inn are also one of the most visited areas by tourists. Eski Mosque which was built by Ömer Osman Paşa in 1763, Yeni Mosque built by Ardahan immigrant Şeyh Efendi in 1893 with a wooden structure and Hüseyin Gazi Tomb are the other historical places in the town.
The acreage of the town is 1346km2 and the city has an elevation of 950 m. It is 52 km from Çorum, 53km from Yozgat, 43 km from Sungurlu. The town is hot and dry in summer and it is cold and rainy in winter. The average rainfall is 376mm / year.
Administrative Structure and Population Status
The population is totaly 53.193 , 24.983 in the city center and 28.210 in the villages, in the general census held in 2000. There are 94 villages , three districts in the town and there are 7 quarters in the town center, four in Alaca, two in Büyükhırka District, two in Çopraşık District.