The History of The Town
It is mentioned in the books belonging to Paphlagonia history that the word İskilip meant Asklepios, god of health. İskilip was located within the boundaries of Bitinia in BC 2nd century. It was called as Neoklauniopolis in Byzantine age. İskilip was conquered by Seljuk Commander Gümüştekin Ahmet Gazi in 1075. It was seized by Ottomans during Yıldırım Bayezit period. The municipality was established in 1872. Çorum was an independent district until 1921 and it was administered by Çorum after it became a city.
İskilip is in the transition of Middle Anatolia and Black Sea Region. It is 56 km from Çorum , 140 km from Kastamonu, 92 km from Osmancık , 124 km from Oğuzlar, 33 km from Bayat, 26 km from Uğurludağ.
Annual rainfall rate is 484,8 mm , it has an elevation of 750m , and its acreage is 1187 km2.
İskilip is sorrounded by high mountains. It has an authentic structure with its historical texture , vegetation and the architectural buildings which are still strong today. It is an allocation unit which the researchers name as “Museum City” .
It is in the transition area of Middle Anatolia’s Terrestrial climate and Black Sea Region’s temperate climate. Summers are hot and dry ; winters are cold and rainy.
Administrative Structure and Population Status
There are 65 villages administered by town. The population of the town center is 19.648 and of villages is 25.679 . The total population is 45.327.
The town has 65 villages. There are 14 quarters in the town center.