Museology History in Çorum
The capital of Hittites, Hattis – Boğazköy historical site in the center of Hittites culture and civilization was firstly excavated in 1834. Alacahöyük historical site was firstly excavated in 1835 by the European travellers visiting Anatolia. These successful excavations have attracted attention since 1937. The capital of Hittites, Hattis – Boğazköy historical site which is in the center of Hittites culture and civilization was firstly excavated in 1834 and Alacahöyük historical site was firstly excavated in 1835 by the European travellers visiting Anatolia. With these process, Çorum attracted the attention in terms of historical and archeological wealth. The sansational excavations in Alacahöyük, Hattis-Boğazköy and the other excavation centers led to the collecting the pieces and organizing them in a museum. Museum studies have begun with these successful excavations since 1937.
Due to the increasing touristy activities in Boğazköy-Hattis and Alacahöyük, the first museum building in 1962 started but the result was not positive.
Despite the unsuccessful result, the museum building idea was kept fresh. “ Çorum Hittite Museum Building and Tourism Association” and its president Opr. Dr. Kemal Terlemezoğlu and the secretary Talat Ceritoğlu kept on their attempts to establish a museum. Finally, it was approved by Ministry of National Education that building a museum and finding an area for it on the official document of 1st September, 1965.
The new museum was started to be built on Çorum Male Art Institute ‘s 3000 m2 field in 1966 and it was completed in 1968.
The first museum where the pieces found in Alacahöyük, Boğazköy-Hattis, Pazarlı and Kuşsaray were exhibited on 13th October 1968.